Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A humorous Side Effect of Don Quixote


With so few of the 900 odd pages of Don Quixote left for me to read, I find that the time I put into this book gave me some curious side effects.  Often I read Don Quixote just before I hit the sack and I have been known to take a nap or two with DQ open to the page I fell asleep on.  All this intermingling of Don Quixote and sleep causes me to occasionally dream in the language of chivalry and even more curiously dream that I am reading the novel itself.  This phenomena proves quite entertaining when you throw in my tendency to have zombie dreams because the blending of the two genres creates a wonderful parody of the nightmare.  I love zombie movies and consequently I tend to occasionally dream I am the Bad Ass protagonist of zombie movies smiting the countless undead hoards with my mighty 12 gauge.  However when they personages I quest to save use the language of Chivalry rather than screams of terror (towards the Zombies) and undying gratitude (towards me), I get a little mixed up and the dream usually takes a right hand turn.  Sometimes it ends with the destruction of my character by the zombies because he rolls on the floor laughing rather than holding the last stronghold with his thunderous shotgun.  Sometimes the dream completely transforms to the era of chivalry with the zombies no where to be found.  More often then not, I realize I fell asleep reading Don Quixote again and something in my subconscious arouses me from my adventure and I find the novel openly resting on my chest.  I know we are done with the actual discussions of the class but I figure if a work of literature takes an entire semester of dedication and distorts my usual dream cycle, it probably deserves a full reading no matter how busy I am during these last few weeks of school.

No comments: